RWYB - Run What Ya Brung (VW Only)
Friday 12pm-7pm & Saturday 9.30am-3pm
Track fee is £20 Friday, and £15 Saturday for unlimited runs
Track opening and competition times are subject to weather and track conditions.
Have you ever gone absolutely flat out in your car? The chances are, unless you’ve been on the dragstrip before, the answer will be “no”. The fear of meeting Mr Plod or wrapping your pride & joy around a tree has probably put a lid on your temptation to floor it. But since you’re at Bug Jam, and there’s Europe’s best dragstrip in the middle of the festival, it would be a shame not to give it a go… right?
Anything is suitable for use on the track from campervans as slow as tectonic plates to wheelie-poppin’ bugs. Provided it’s a VW, you are welcome to join in. There are updated RWYB classes to find the fastest of each type of car, so sign up, strap in, and zoom off!
You must remember to bring your driving licence if you want to use the track. It’s your responsibility to make sure you’re in the right class.
We’ll be awarding a trophy to the fastest car in each of the following classes. At the end of the day, you’ll also be able to see how far off the pace you are if you didn’t top the tables.
- Class A - Aircooled Cars
- Class B - Aircooled Vans
- Class C - Watercooled Cars (Inc Caddies)
- Class D - Watercooled Vans
- Class X - Non Road Legal
The RWYB Competition will end at 3pm. It is your responsibility to ensure you’re running in the correct class, anyone running in the wrong class will be disqualified and no disputes will be entered into. If you suspect there is a mistake when the class winners are announced, you will have 30 minutes from the first announcement to lodge a protest.
A RWYB Video Guide
Run What Ya Brung Beginners Guide
What is RWYB?
RWYB stands for “Run What Ya Brung” and refers to public test days when Santa Pod is open to anyone with a driving licence to run their car or motorcycle down the track.
RWYB is as simple or scientific as you want it to be, and you can use these days either to just have fun with your friends or as serious test days, whether your vehicle is for road or track.
Your mission is to accelerate from a standing start and cover the 1/4 mile in the shortest possible time. A full performance printout after each run will show your reaction time, speed, and elapsed time as well as a host of incremental measurements.
What Do I Need To Have A Go?
- A vehicle (vehicles must be safe and run at the race director's discretion).
- A driving licence suitable for the type of vehicle you are driving.
- A crash helmet for open top vehicles and those going over 110mph at the finish line. Arm straps required in open-top vehicles.
- Bikers need suitable protective clothing and approved helmet.
- Please note that RWYB spaces are sold on a first come first served basis as we can only service a certain amount of customers on each day.
What Do I Need To Do?
- Visit the Signing On Office located at the base of the control tower near the startline on foot. You will need your driving licence and signing on fee (cash or card). You'll be asked to fill in a form.
- Check your vehicle is well maintained and safe. Tyres, oil, steering, coolant and brakes are important. Also check your tyres and arches are not muddy.
- Move your Vehicle to the back of the queue in the "fire up road". Bikers can usually push past to the separate queue for bikes.
- When you are called forward by the marshal, close your windows and sunroof fully, and buckle your seatbelt. Bikers should pull down visors or goggles. Please DO NOT activate liquid spray-bars.
- If you wish, attempt a burnout in the water under the tower. This will clean and warm your tyres. 4WD cars will not burnout unless equipped to do so.
- Roll forward to the Start Line when the marshal indicates. The start line is not actually marked on the track (because it would get scrubbed out very quickly), but the best way to spot it is to look for a gap in the red boarder next to the track.
- The first pair of lights on the "starting tree" marked Pre Staged will light when you are nearly in position.
- Roll a few inches further forward and the next pair of lights marked Staged will light also.
- When you and your opponent are both staged and the track is clear, the three orange bulbs will light and then the Green. Now is the time to go!
- Accelerate as hard as you can without spinning the wheels too much. The last timing beam is under the gantry exactly 1/4 of a mile from the start line.
- Slow down gently once you have crossed the finish, and keep going until you reach the first Turn Off Point on the left. Check your mirrors for your opponent before turning off and heading back on yourself. Drive slowly and carefully once you have left the track.
- You can collect Timing Slips from the signing on office at the startline tower. These are free to collect as soon as your run is complete. If in doubt at any point, simply look to the marshals for direction. Please do not smoke or use mobile phones when on the track.
An advanced RWYB guide, including startline procedure and tips for a good run can be found on the official RWYB website along with a full calendar of all upcoming RWYB days, at www.RWYB.com.
Santa Pod Raceway has joined up with 1320go to provide live timing data online and to your phone. Details on the Phone App page.